The Paulin Pack

The Paulin Pack

Sunday, March 24, 2013

And Baby Makes 3...




Well, I feel like Nick and I have finally connected ourselves to the final facet of the 21st century - we are starting a blog! Up to this point, our life together didn't seem to have warranted the postings on a blog. We have been so blessed to experience so much together, including the ability to travel to so many different, amazing places. But a baby on the way changes a lot, including how much you want to share with others. We have so many loved ones who live miles and even states away, and this seems like a perfect mode of communication to update everyone on my pregnancy, the birth of our first child, and the growth of our family.

Our lives changed for the better on Christmas morning 2012 when I finally received a positive result on a pregnancy test after months and months of negative results. We were both ecstatic, a little scared, but overwhelmingly happy and ever since that day we have been living in this little, happy bubble as we await the arrival of our little one. The due date is September 7th... all I can think is, 'Lord, please don't let this baby be born on September 11th, or Friday the 13th'. This baby will join several other family members who celebrate birthdays in September: my mom, my sister, my aunt Tammy, my Uncle Steve, Nick's dad, and Nick's grandma. It will be a good month!

On February 1st, we had our first ultrasound and were able to see our baby for the first time. At only 9 weeks pregnant, it was amazing that a little blob on screen already looked like a baby. We were also able to hear the heartbeat and that has, so far, been the best moment of the pregnancy. Our little miracle became even more real to us. Now, I'm 16 weeks and we are (somewhat) patiently awaiting our next ultrasound when we find out the gender. Only about 4 more weeks!

Everyone has been so excited and supportive of our good news! We are constantly receiving well wishes, kind words, and encouragement. My colleagues at work have been wonderful, always checking on me and leaving little gifts for the baby. I told my students the news a few weeks ago and I think they were more excited than anyone. They even threw me a surprise baby shower - so thoughtful and sweet of them and a gesture that really touched my heart. I didn't realize a baby would be such a big deal to 10 and 11 year olds, but it is all they can talk about.

Pregnancy was not fun at all in the beginning; each evening was filled with extreme nausea and even more extreme exhaustion. But recently I have felt great and we are so thankful that everything has been going smoothly and according to plan. Our prayer, of course, is that this baby is healthy, healthy, healthy. Reading so many books and articles on pregnancy and babies is enough to make a pregnant woman a nervous wreck - but we trust God has all things in His hands and He is taking care of us.

More than anything, we are so thankful for and are still in awe of this miracle!

1 comment: