Wednesday I had big plans... This was a busy tutoring morning for me, then I was supposed to take one of the kiddos that I tutor and spend a special "reward" day with her for a job well done over the summer. We were planning on going to the bookstore, out for lunch and frozen yogurt, then she was going to help me finish up preparation for my classroom for the upcoming school year.
Well... Baby Kate certainly had other plans. That morning our friend Laura (a nurse and Kate's future babysitter) came over to check my BP and, wow, was it high, coming in at 159/99. Again, I called my OB and she had me come into the office immediately. She ran several tests on me, then proceeded to tell me that I was going to be put on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy. On top of that she told me that I was already 3 cm dilated... Eek! With being only 35 weeks along, we knew we needed to slow this baby down and stall her rush to enter the world.
My mind went into panic mode as I saw this as the worst possible timing... Back to school?!? There was so much left to be done! The rest of my day was spent on the phone with my principal, long-term sub, and colleagues. They assured me everything would get taken care of, and they truly have made it so that I have nothing to worry about.
So... I have been on bed rest since Wednesday, August 7th, a week today. And it has felt like a month! It is difficult mentally and emotionally, trying to stay occupied and keep the pace of the day moving forward. We are literally sitting around and waiting for the baby to arrive.
But this whole ordeal has been made much easier by my loved ones around me. First, my husband. Nick has always been my helper in everything and anything but I have been absolutely amazed at how he has stepped up since I've been put on bed rest. He works all day, then comes home in the evening and takes care of everything around the house, most of all he takes great care of me. He has been my rock this past week, making me laugh when I need to laugh and always knowing the right thing to say. Anyone who knows Nick knows that he has a tendency to worry. I know that he is worried, but he has put his personal feelings aside and has put me first in everything, just like he always has.
Secondly, my parents. The day I was put on bed rest they drove straight to our house... Which is 3 hours from their house (they made it in 2). They stayed for the whole day, simply to make sure I was handling everything ok and that I was comfortable (and, I think, making good and sure I was truly following doctor's orders and staying off of my feet). It isn't easy living far away from my parents, but they have made it feel like they live right around the corner, and that has meant the world to me.
Lastly, our dear, dear friends. Wow. I am so overwhelmed by the love shown to us by our friends during this time. Our friends from work, church, and our neighborhood have done nothing but been there for us this past week. My sweet friend, Yvette, created a website that set up a meal schedule for us so that people could sign up to bring us food. Laura has come over multiple times just to check my blood pressure, taking time out of her busy day just to check in on me. Myra brought us cupcakes, then helped Nick install car seats into our vehicles. Mandy brought over tons of goodies from our friend, Corrie's, baby shower since I wasn't able to attend. Not to mention all of the visits, phone calls, e-mails, and texts that I have received every single day. We are so unbelievably blessed to have all of these people in our lives and we thank God for each of you every day. Things have been made easy and enjoyable at a time that can seem a little trying.
As of now, I'm still visiting my OB once a week and now going for non-stress tests twice each week. I went for my first NST yesterday and all was well; amniotic fluid levels looked good and Kate is moving around just like she needs to be (I could have told you that without going through the test... This kid moves around constantly!). Our goal is to get me to 38 weeks before I deliver. I'll be 37 weeks on Saturday. At the end of every day (and night) we are so thankful that she hung in there with us for another 24 hours. We know that the longer she can stay in the womb, the safer and healthier she will be. I know I might complain about being bored or keeping occupied, but it is ultimately so worth it for her health. We can't wait to meet her, but we want her to be as ready to take on the world as she possibly can!
Thank you to everyone for your continued support and prayers! We love you all so much!
Sorry to hear about your bed rest! I will be praying for Baby Kate to be patient before coming. You've been in my thoughts a lot lately. :-)
ReplyDelete